For coronavirus (COVID-19) travel information, see our FAQ.

Residency Visas in Mexico- Q&A

The most frequent emails I receive on a regular basis are around Residency in Mexico. There is a lot of confusion regarding this topic out there because there are so many channels that cover it and sometimes people contradict each other.

So it causes confusion and people feel like they don’t have a straight answer to their questions. So, I listed all your questions and interviewed our recommended immigration attorneys in our Mexico Relocation Course. And put together a complete video explaining some of the main questions we get.

I cover:

  • How long can a tourist stay in Mexico on an FMM?
  • Why Mexican Consulates may not have appointments available and what you can do about it
  • Why hire an immigration facilitator or lawyer to help you with the process
  • What questions you should ask your immigration expert
  • Income requirements needed to qualify for residency
  • Permanent or Temporary Residency- which one is right for you
  • Can you apply a year before planning to move to Mexico?
  • What happens if you don’t have a permanent address in Mexico?

Watch the full replay

Mariana Lange

Mariana Lima-Lange was born in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. when she was a child. She spent every summer visiting family throughout Mexico and is very knowledgeable about Mexican culture, lifestyle, and traditions. She is fluent in both Spanish and English.

Reader Interactions


  1. Kim miller says

    We just purchased a second home in San Jose Del Cabo and would like to buy a car to keep there. What visa do we need to have to purchase a car and obtain a driver’s license or whatever is needed. We will be coming and going several times a year but won’t be staying more than a couple months at a time.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Kim!
      You can have a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico for up to 4 years on a temporary resident visa. However, after 4 years, you can no longer have your foreign plated vehicle in Mexico and will either need to pay to have it imported or will need to get rid of it outside of Mexico.
      This is why I usually suggest buying a car in Mexico that you can then register in Mexico and keep indefinitely. I have all the answers to these questions and others included in our Mexico Relocation Course

      • Kim miller says

        Thank you! I should have been more specific. We definitely want to purchase the car in Mexico. So a temporary resident visa is enough? Is this the same as a 6 month temporary visa to travel? I’m confused as to how to apply….I’ve filled out the paperwork. Do we make an appt with the Mexican consulate office in dallas where we live? Do we have stay a month to wait for an appointment in Mexico once we get there? Thank you for your help

        • Mariana Lange says

          Hi Kim!
          Okay- that changes things a bit if you are buying the car in Mexico.
          To be able to register the car in Mexico you will need a CURP- which is only available to residents and Mexican nationals. You can buy a car on a tourist visa, but you cannot legally register the vehicle in your name.

          To apply for residency- you have to start the process in a Mexican Consulate. Sounds like Dallas is the one nearest you.
          If you are confused as to how to apply for residency, how to make an appointment at the consulate, how to register a vehicle in Mexico, and all of these questions: we have several immigration recommendations and car registration facilitators in our Mexico Relocation Course you can work with. I also explain the process for residency in detail in our course

  2. Dee says

    Do I have to buy the guide for a referral to your facilitators?

    • Mariana Lange says


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.