Mexico’s Retiree Discounts Card- INAPAM

Mexico really takes care of its retiree population. Not only can you get access to various discounts on things like airfare, bus tickets, movie theaters but you can also get as much as 50% off your property taxes in Mexico.

If you’ve never heard of this program it is called INAPAM and its 100% free. Read the full article to understand who can apply, how to apply, and what discounts you can get. Plus some other special circumstances that no one talks about.

INAPAM is an acronym for Instituto Nacional de las Personas Adultas MayoresIt’s a government initiative, but the real benefit is its discounts on purchases like airfare, medicines, doctor’s visits, and even utilities. Several retailers and government agencies have partnered with this program throughout Mexico and offer Mexico’s resident’s age 60 and over various excellent discounts. 

Who Can Apply?

To apply you have to be over the age of 60. But there is a restriction. The program is only available to legal residents and Mexican nationals and not tourists. The way to prove your legal status in Mexico is through an alphanumerical number you can get when you get residency in Mexico known as a CURP. It’s kind of like a social security number in the U.S. It’s unique to you, and it’s one of the required documents you’ll need to present to get an INAPAM card.

How Do You Apply?

First you have to locate the proper office that processes INAPAM cards in your local city.

The Mexican government’s website gives you the different INAPAM service centers throughout Mexico where you will need to go once you have all your documents in order. Click here to see the directory.

Documents Needed

  • Valid official identification- Residency Cards are ok
  • CURP
  • Birth certificate
  • Proof of address – electricity bill or similar (not older than six months)
  • One recent color or black and white child size photograph (tamano infantil)
  • two phone numbers

Foreigners and/or people with indefinite migratory status can also apply for the INAPAM credential, presenting the following:

  • Temporary or Permanent Residency Card
  • Valid passport
and example INAPAM card

If you’re interested in hiring a facilitator to help you get your INAPAM card, you can access our list of recommended facilitators in Mexico through our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide

How To Claim Your INAPAM Discount:

In a lot of cases you might get the senior discount at various retailers without having to show your INAPAM card because often enough people assume certain ages when they give you a bill. In some cases, all you have to do is ask. Depending on what store you are in, or what you are trying to purchase, a clerk might just give you the discount if you look the part and they have a discount to give you.

The official list of benefits for the INAPAM card can be found here

However, for other retailers, you’ll need to ask for a discount as you make a purchase. In the case of Aeromexico, you have to make your flight reservation in person at one of their service centers for them to verify your eligibility.

If you’re taking the ADO bus, you can make the reservation online with your INAPAM discount. However, before you board, someone might want to verify your INAPAM card and name.

In most cases, you’ll have to make a purchase directly with a retailer in person to receive the discount. Most companies don’t have the sophistication of adding this type of discount when purchasing tickets or buying a service online. In some cases, you might not be able to find any information about a discount online and should ask when you are making a transaction.

For example, when you fly with Aeromexico, you get a substantial 15% off. However, to receive the discount, you’ll have to book with an agent over the phone or at one of their service counters throughout Mexico.

I’d even suggest asking your doctor or specialist if they accept your INAPAM card in exchange for a discount. Most doctors in Mexico don’t have any of this information online but are happy to provide a discount to INAPAM cardholders.

Interested in Retiring in Mexico? Check out our 9 Reasons Mexico is Popular with Retirees.

Mariana Lange

Mariana Lima-Lange was born in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. when she was a child. She spent every summer visiting family throughout Mexico and is very knowledgeable about Mexican culture, lifestyle, and traditions. She is fluent in both Spanish and English.

Reader Interactions


  1. Mariana Lange says

    Hi Harry
    You have to go to a DIF office and bring your curp, your residency card, two small pictures and copies of your utility bills (not older than 3 months)

    • Derek Williams says

      Hi Mariana: I know live in SMA with my lovely wife. We and another Canadian couple from Vancouver both tried to get our Inapam cards but were told that we would need our birth certificates. We did not bring them along. Also the office to go to is not DIF but City Hall (Principal).

      • Mariana Lange says

        The actual requirements do vary by city. Some of them ask you for a birth certificate to verify your age and other offices do not.
        Thanks for the update.
        In the online guide I have an updated list of the INAPAM offices you need to go to by city in each state 🙂

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *