The Most Complete Guide to Mexican Resident Visa

Obtaining your Mexican Resident Visa is not as easy as some think. We know how hard it can be to navigate Mexican bureaucracy. And if you don’t understand perfect Spanish, the second part of your residency process in Mexico can be a nightmare.

We hear stories about people overstaying their visas or leaving the country every six months to avoid getting a Mexican Resident Visa.

Then they are surprised when they get caught, fined, or turned away at the border. And the Mexican National Immigration Institute (aka INM) is starting to crack down on perpetual tourists.

If you are considering moving to Mexico, you should understand how to legally get a Mexican Resident Visa. And if you’re coming in as a tourist to check it out before moving here, you should also know how long you can stay.

Either way, the following information should help you decide what to do to be in Mexico legally.

That’s why I created this COMPLETE Guide to Mexican Resident Visas

But first, let me explain some of the terminologies for tourists vs. residents because it matters in your understanding of the process.

Learn how to get your Mexican Resident Visa the right way. We cover the process for Temporary and Permanent Residency. And get access to our directory of Immigration facilitators across Mexico in ourCOMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide.

Tourist Visa or FMM

You might be coming to Mexico to check it before making big decisions. That’s a great idea! I suggest exploring this beautiful and large country before getting a Mexican resident visa.

And why not? You can stay in the country for up to 180 days as a tourist if your passport is from one of the “no visa required” countries.

But remember that even though you can be given up to 180 days, there is no guarantee you will get the full 180 days. There have been many cases where tourists have come to Mexico and were given 30, 20, or even 15 days on their tourist visas.

And many people are surprised when they come to Mexico with plans of being here for more than a few weeks or months and are given only days on their tourist FMM.

Some people may have brought their pets, household goods, or something else they assumed could stay longer. Or maybe you’ve made reservations at an Airbnb for five months and may lose out on some of that expense.

So if you plan to be in Mexico for more than 180 days and can’t risk getting less than 180 days’ permission to stay in the country, you should consider a residency visa.

FMM Mexico Tourist Visa

Flying Into Mexico

Some of you will be flying into Mexico to finish your residency visa process.

The fee of an FMM is usually included in your ticket. Most likely, an agent will give you this form to fill out before entering Mexico. You’ll need to fill out a declaration form before arriving in Mexico, and you only need to fill one out per family.

If you’re coming in to finish your residency visa in Mexico, you’ll need to let an agent know they must mark you as “canje.” It’s super important, and I cover that in detail further down.

If you’re coming in as a tourist, an immigration officer will stamp your passport and issue you a slip with the time or days you are allowed to stay in Mexico.

Remember that you are not entitled to or automatically guaranteed 180 days as a tourist.

This is up to the immigration agent to process your FMM upon arrival. You must check the time they write into your FMM when you arrive in Mexico so that you don’t accidentally overstay your visa permit.

In some airports, you will be given a paper FMM. In some other airports, you will only get a stamp on your passport. Changes are happening daily- for more info, go to this post about Digital FMMs in Mexico.

Driving Into Mexico

A lot of people moving to Mexico decide to drive across the border. Makes sense to me. You might have pets. You might have household goods. Or, this vehicle may be your transportation in Mexico. And if you decide to get your residency in Mexico, you might need a car.

If you decide to drive to Mexico, you’ll still need to get an FMM. An FMM costs $687 MXN as of January 1st, 2023

If you’re coming in as a tourist, you might read online that no one checks this while driving in Mexico. And while it may be the case most of the time, it is required by law for you to get one upon arrival. Getting caught without one could cause trouble for you while you’re in the process of getting your residency visa in Mexico in the future. And no one at the border in Mexico forces you to get an FMM.

So it’s your responsibility to either buy one online ahead of time or get it at the border when you cross.

If you’re coming in for canje, you must get an FMM at the border crossing you drive on. Make sure they mark you as Canje and not as a tourist on your Mexican Resident Visa stamp.

Where to Get An FMM On The Land Border?

When you drive across the border, an INM office is usually for you to get your FMM. Usually, an immigration officer will give you an FMM for up to 180 days if you are from one of the “no visa required countries” and coming in as a tourist.

But suppose you’re coming in as a resident.

In that case, it’s extremely important to let an agent know you are coming in as a resident and not a tourist if you are in the process of residency in Mexico (also known as “canje”).

If they mark your FMM as a tourist, your Mexican Resident Visa will no longer be valid, and you will have to start again. So don’t let an INM agent brush you off.

Getting a TIP permit for your car

You must also apply for a TIP if you drive your car across the border. (Temporary Vehicle Permit) A TIP allows your foreign-plated vehicle to be driven while you are in Mexico.

The cost of a TIP is MXN 1,044.52, or roughly USD 52.

You can ONLY apply through Banjercito, but I found the process on their website to be very easy!

And if you like to plan, you’ll be pleased to know that you can get your TIP permit from 7 to 60 days before travel. Usually, a TIP is good for up to 180 days. However, we do not recommend getting it weeks in advance because you never know if you will use that same car.

Stays Longer Than 180 Days

If you plan to stay in Mexico for more than 180 days, you must apply for a temporary or permanent residence visa. And yes, you can get deported if you’re caught overstaying your visa. If you only want to be in Mexico temporarily, you must leave by the 6-month mark and surrender your FMM.

The most popular visas for ex-pats are either the temporary resident visa (residente temporal) or the permanent resident visa (residente permanente).

Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for one or both. I’ll explain how to determine the right one for you and how to apply.

Temporary Resident (Residente Temporal)

The most common Mexican Resident Visa is a temporary residency.

To qualify for a temporary residency visa, you need to:

  • Demonstrate monthly income starting at USD 2,700 and up to USD 3,300 monthly for the past 6 months. You must provide at least the last 6 months of bank statements.
  • or
  • Demonstrate a minimum balance in investments or savings of approx USD 52,000 for the last 12 months. You must provide at least the last 12 months’ bank statements.
  • The income requirements vary by consulate.

Permanent Resident (Residente Permanente)

A permanent resident visa is less common because you must prove more savings or income to qualify. *In some cases, you also have to be of retirement age. I’ll go over that further down.

To qualify for a permanent residency visa, you must:

  • Demonstrate a minimum monthly income starting at USD 4200 and up to USD 5,400 for the last 6 months
  • or
  • Demonstrate a minimum balance in investments or savings starting at $180,000 and up to $208,000 for the last 12 months, with bank statements showing this minimum balance each month.
  • The income requirements vary by consulate.

*It is worth mentioning that some consulates require you to have a pension/social security benefits or be of retirement age (over 60) to qualify for a Permanent Resident VISA without having the Temporary Resident VISA first. However, different consulates in the USA have different rules.

Additional Dependents

Most consulates expect only the main applicant to qualify with the income requirements I have shared above.

  • But if you are applying as a married couple, an additional $1,060 per dependent needs to be demonstrated in monthly income.

Of course, this also varied by consulate. Some consulates require each applicant to qualify individually. You must verify the requirements with the Mexican consulate you intend to apply to.

Many people don’t know this, but every consulate has its income requirements for residency in Mexico. Some are higher than others. While some only issue temporary residencies in Mexico. And some only allow you to apply if you live in the local area

Immigration Fees

Temporary Residents (Canje)

The first part of your residency process will almost always start in your home country. You have to secure a Mexican consulate appointment- where they will check to see if you qualify for residency in Mexico. The cost of this consular appointment is always USD 51 or the equivalent based on your home country’s currency. And it is non-refundable regardless of whether you are approved or not.

The second part of the process takes place in Mexico and is known as CANJE.

Because most Temporary Residents are initially given their residency card for one year, you can expect this to cost $5,108 MXN.

After the first year, you must renew your residency visa and can only do so for up to 4 years. These are the costs for renewal

Work Permit for Temporary Residents

If you wish to work in Mexico as a temporary resident, you must obtain permission to work from INM. Even if you rent an Airbnb in Mexico as a temporary resident, you have to ask INM for permission to work- because you are generating an income.

The cost of this work permit is $3835 MXN.

Permanent Residents are given permission to work without having to process any additional permits., Although you are supposed to notify INM of your intent to work and what you plan to do for work.

Permanent Residents

If you are given a permanent residency at the Mexican Consulate that approved your residency, your visa is indefinite and does not need to be renewed. You only pay $6,226 MXN once (about $311 USD).

When you come to Mexico, you pay this amount to finish your process at the INM offices.


For most expats, you’ll have to start the process for a permanent visa in your country. Once granted a permanent resident visa, you must go to Mexico to finalize the process.

Same as the temporary visa, it is valid for up to 180 days, and once you arrive in Mexico, you have up to 30 DAYS to exchange it for a permanent resident card. This is known as CANJE.

Your permanent visa is valid indefinitely. You don’t have to renew it as you do with a temporary visa. You’re also allowed to work without applying for a work permit. However, you must tell INM if you have a job offer in Mexico.

Fill out the application in English with this application form below

Residency Through Family Unification/Unity

You may qualify to apply for residency without having to leave Mexico.

You qualify if you are the:

  • Parent of a Mexican citizen/permanent resident
  • Child of a Mexican citizen/permanent resident
  • Sibling of a Mexican citizen/permanent resident
  • Child of the spouse/common-law partner of a Mexican citizen/permanent resident

Instead of starting the process in a Mexican consulate/embassy near you, you would start the process at one of the immigration offices in Mexico.

Having A Mexican Resident Visa Has Benefits!

But what if you’re unsure if you plan to live in Mexico full-time? That’s ok! You don’t have to live in Mexico full-time to remain a resident of Mexico. The only caveat is that if you become a temporary resident, you must come back in person to renew it. So, if you think retirement or living in Mexico might be in your future, I encourage you to look into residency sooner rather than later.

There are some additional perks of being a resident in Mexico, such as:

  • You can come in and out of Mexico as you’d like
  • The ability to open bank accounts
  • You can import your foreign-plated car free of import taxes (Temporary only)
  • You can bring your household goods to Mexico free of import taxes
  • You have access to Mexico’s low-cost healthcare through IMSS
  • Many private healthcare insurance companies require you to be a resident
  • You can apply for a Mexican driver’s license
  • You can work in Mexico or run a business in Mexico
  • You can register/nationalize a vehicle in Mexico
  • Retiree discounts available through INAPAM
  • No capital gains are paid when you sell a property in Mexico
  • Discounts for locals only
  • The cost of getting a residency is very affordable compared to other countries.
  • You can bring pets with you long-term
  • And so many more!

Should You Hire An Immigration Expert?

Getting an appointment at the Mexican Consulate in your country of origin might be impossible these days. Appointments are scarce, and you might have to dedicate a few days to calling and checking online every few minutes to see if you can get one.

You also might not feel comfortable visiting an immigration office in Mexico, especially if your Spanish isn’t strong. Or you might not know if you are filling out the paperwork correctly. And trust me, you want to fill it out right first. It’ll save you multiple trips back and forth.

So hiring an immigration attorney or facilitator might be a good idea. We have a list of vetted and very affordable immigration facilitators nationwide.

All of them speak Spanish and English.

And some of them have dedicated staff to make appointments at Mexican Consulates for your initial interview. They’ll prepare you with the right kind of paperwork. And most importantly, they’ll know the best immigration offices in Mexico where you can do your residency exchange in a day or so.

It’s worth every dime.

How To Decide Which Immigration Attorney Is Right?

Not all immigration facilitators are the same. They vary a lot in costs and services provided. And in some cases, they’ll never deliver what they promised to do. Leaving you unsatisfied and having to hire a different person.

When you hire an immigration facilitator, it’s a good idea to interview them to know what’s included. You should ask questions like:

  • Will you translate the documents for me?
  • Are government fees included in your price?
  • Will you provide an official translator? (perito traductor)
  • How long can I expect the process to take?
  • Will you schedule my Mexican Consulate appointment for me?
  • If I process two resident permits, are your fees the same per person?

You can expect reputable and efficient immigration lawyer fees to be around $400-$600 USD per person. However, your final cost may depend on your specific situation and the paperwork they may need to arrange for you. But I’ve heard stories of expats being taken advantage of and paying thousands of dollars to scammer immigration lawyers who didn’t deliver. All because they didn’t do their research.

We only work with the best and most reputable immigration contacts around Mexico. And we only work with immigration lawyers whose fees are reasonable.

And we DON’T GET ANY KICKBACKS– so you can rest assured that I am not recommending anyone only because I get paid to do so. I earn our income when you buy the relocation guide.

Want to learn more about working with our recommended immigration facilitators? Get More Info On Which Ones We Recommend and the questions we recommend asking them in our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide

Common Mistakes or Misconceptions

Here are some of the most common mistakes I see or hear about. Sometimes the consulates are the culprit for giving you wrong information. Get the facts:

  • There is no guarantee that if you qualify for Permanent residency, you will get Permanent residency. The consulate has the final say on what residency visa you will receive. Don’t get upset- you can always get Permanent residency after 4 years as a Temporary resident.
  • If you use an Airbnb or Hotel address when you do your Canje, it is your responsibility to change your address within 90 days with INM when you settle in your long-term home in Mexico.
  • If you are applying as a married couple, some consulates require each one of you to qualify independently. If only one of you qualifies, don’t worry. Get residency, and once you are in Mexico, you can petition your spouse without having to prove additional financials.
  • You will receive a stamp on your passport when you are approved at a Mexican consulate. You have up to 180 days to come to Mexico and finish the process. This is known as Canje. Canje is the process by which you exchange that stamp in your passport for an actual card. You are not done with the process until you receive your residency card.
  • From the time you enter Mexico, you have 30 days to at least start the process in the immigration office. If your appointment at INM for canje is past the 30 days, don’t worry. You are not going to get in trouble. But it does mean you cannot leave Mexico unless you get permission from immigration. Otherwise, you cancel your whole process.
  • If you are driving to Mexico to do your Canje, it is YOUR responsibility to stop at INM at the border and ask for your FMM. Without this, you cannot get your residency card. And it would be a bummer to have to drive back to the border.
  • You might be asked to bring financials when you renew your temporary residency at INM. That doesn’t mean you have to prove the income requirements again. In fact, I’ve never known anyone to get denied for not having a specific amount. But be prepared to get asked for money in the bank when you renew your Temporary residency at INM. And not every INM office requires this.
  • What you get in the Mexican consulate is what you get in Mexico. If you got temporary, you can’t request permanent residency once you go to INM (immigration) in Mexico.
  • All Temporary residencies are for one year initially. After the first year, you can renew for 1,2, or 3 additional years. You can only be a temporary resident for up to 4 years. After which, you will either have to become a permanent resident or start over again.
  • Once you get your Mexican visa stamped on your passport, you need to finish the process in Mexico the next time you enter. You can’t come as a tourist while you have the visa in your passport and come back later to the country to finish it.

Mexican Bureaucracy Is Challenging

Ask any local or foreigner living in Mexico what they think about Mexican bureaucracy, and I guarantee you will get a few eye rolls. It’s one of the most frustrating things you will have to deal with when you move to Mexico, but trust me, once you learn to accept that nothing will be super easy, you will live a happier life.

Mexican government offices are sometimes very old school in their way of handling procedures. And immigration is no exception.

And while doing the process on your own isn’t impossible, knowing and hiring the right people to help you can save you time, frustrations, and money.

To give you an example, as of 2022, all immigration offices in Mexico stopped taking online appointments. Now, all appointments must be made in person. Which automatically made all INM (immigration in Mexico) offices have long lines and long wait times to get anything done.

From renewals to canje to family unification processes. Many people don’t realize this. And they might come to Mexico thinking they might be able to finish their residency process in a matter of days. But come to find out, they need to invest about 2-4 weeks. But what happens if you have a job to return to? Or pets or family?

It’s also not uncommon for some immigration offices in Mexico to run out of plastic. So what could have taken 1 day to complete might now take 3-4 days.

Knowing the right facilitators and having access to the right information can help you avoid some of these surprises. You have to keep in mind they do this for a living. They are at the immigration offices daily. They know what’s happening in real time. Plus, they can help you shorten your processing times and help you avoid unnecessary frustrations.

You’re paying for that when you hire a good immigration facilitator. Someone who can help guide you. Someone who knows the local procedure. What’s your time worth to you?

But not all facilitators are created equal. And if you don’t know what to look for, you could get scammed. I see it all the time. “Reputable” immigration facilitators recommended by other “experts” end up wasting that person’s money or time. Not sure which is worse? I’ve seen people lose money because their facilitator made a crucial error and can’t fix it but won’t give them their money back. I’ve seen facilitators take payment and not return phone calls.

That’s why hiring the right people can make all the difference. And you can take the guesswork out of knowing who to hire with Our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide. Which gives you access to the immigration facilitators we know are trustworthy and professional.

That way, you have one less thing to worry about.

Mariana Lange

Mariana Lima-Lange was born in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. when she was a child. She spent every summer visiting family throughout Mexico and is very knowledgeable about Mexican culture, lifestyle, and traditions. She is fluent in both Spanish and English.

Reader Interactions


  1. Roxanne says

    This is a great resource! I saw your updated page for 2021, but can you update this Residency-Cost-in-Mexico page for 2021, too? Also, can you discuss the UMA figures that are lower than required incomes for 2021? There has been talk that the Mexican immigration requirements for income will be tied to UMA in the future. Thank you so much for your hard work!

  2. Mita says

    Didn’t see much about retirement visa. Could you please explain
    Thank you

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi there
      There are two types of residency visas in Mexico. A permanent and temporary visa.
      The qualifications for each are different. Most retirees apply for permanent
      I detail the permanent visa in the article. Hope this helps!

      • MD. TOWHIDUL ISLAM says

        how can i get pr in mexico?

        • Mariana Lange says

          The article covers how to get permanent residency 😉

      • Cathy says

        Great article. What I didn’t see addressed is the requirement for permanent residents to have Mexico plates on their vehicle. Is that still requured? It’s the primary reason I’m leaning towards temporary residency.

        • Mariana Lange says

          Hi Cathy- yes it is still required. That information is included in our online guide along with the detailed instructions on how to get a temporary import permit and the contacts that can help you renew it when you renew your temporary residency.

      • DR. JORGE VALDES says

        Hi Mariana, I have Mexican permanent residency but no longer reside in Mexico, how do I return my permanent residency? Dr. Valdes, [email protected]

        • Mariana Lange says

          You mean like surrender it?
          You may have to ask your local Mexican consulate how to do that

      • John Bali says

        Hi Mariana,
        How to I provide proof of address in Mexico for the Canje when I am living in a hotel until my funds arrive from my house sale in the uk?
        Would printed out hotel booking reservations be OK?
        Very much looking forward to hearing from you,
        Kind regards,

        • Mariana Lange says

          Hi Nick
          It depends on the INM office you are going to in Mexico. Not all of them require proof of address. And if they do, all they need is a utility bill (doesn’t have to be in your name). Either your Airbnb host may be able to give you a copy of theirs or your immigration facilitator can supply one.

      • Bob D. says

        Okay I am interested in the temporary resident Visa. I am retired (67) and I have a monthly income of 3,100.00. I am currently living in Cuenca Ecuador. Do I have sufficient income? I am a citizen of the United States. Is it possible to apply in Ecuador at the Mexican Embassy? I am very confused! Thank you for your help.

        • Mariana Lange says

          Hello Bob
          I am not familiar with the Ecuador Mexican Embassy
          However, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to apply there assuming you are legally living in Ecuador.
          The first thing you need to do is go to their website and look into scheduling an appointment which most likely will be through the national scheduling site

          Then you have to determine which residency visa you qualify for based on their requirements.

          If you need help with the process, scheduling an appointment, knowing what documents to bring to your appointment, and the final step of the process in Mexico check out our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide
          In our guide we give you the basic steps of obtaining residency on your own. And we also give you a directory of immigration facilitators that can help you with the process.

          Plus, our guide includes so much more than just the steps to residency.

  3. Marlene Jenkins says

    Hello, I have my temporary visa from USA, now that I’m moving to Mexico what do I need to bring to get my residency card? Thanks

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Marlene!
      You should bring your temporary visa stamp along with your passport.
      You have up to 180 days to travel to Mexico to do the “canje” or exchange for your residency card. Once you enter Mexico, you have up to 30 days to go to INM and start the “canje” process.
      When you go to INM (immigration in Mexico), they will tell you what you need to exchange your residency visa for a residency card.
      Where in Mexico are you moving to?


  4. Jay Taylor says

    Hello Mariana,

    Under the requirements for a Temporary Residence visa, it says: emonstrate a minimum balance in investments or savings of approx USD $43,000 for the last 12 months. But shouldn’t the amount be quite a bit higher than just $43,000? To compare, the amount needed for a Perm. Resd. visa is listed at over $170,000.

    Just wondering.

    Sincerely, Jay

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Jay!
      The amounts posted are correct. The differences between temp and perm residency in terms of savings is very large.
      Each consulate has its own income requirements but they won’t vary too much from these amounts

  5. Jay Taylor says

    Hi Mariana,

    Thanks for your reply. I was just coming on to say that I found the same amount ($43,000) listed elsewhere, so no need to bother replying. lol

    I guess the reason the difference in amounts required for Temp. and Perm. visas is so large is that, since people only have to apply once for the latter, the Mexican government wants to be fairly certain that people will be able to cover ever increasing cost of living expenses once they become permanent residents.

    Thanks again!


    Jay (Taylor)

    • Mariana Lange says

      My pleasure!

  6. J T says

    I am interested in applying for the permanent residency visa, could you refer an attorney or agency to help me with the process? I am living in Dominica currently.
    Thank you.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi JT,
      Great! Yes in our Complete Mexico Relocation Guide we have a directory of immigration facilitators that can help you out.
      Learn more here

  7. Elise Aiwohi says


    What’s the additional amount needed for a spouse if using investment or savings accounts? I know that when using monthly income there is an additional amount needed when adding a spouse but, can’t find an answer regarding savings or investments.

    Thank you!

    • Mariana Lange says

      About $800 USD a month- but it varies by consulate

      • Elise Aiwohi says

        Thank you for your response. I might not be understanding correctly. You are saying $800 more a month but, if we are qualifying on savings what does that calculate as? Is it $800 x 12 months? If my spouse qualifies with a retirement account and I bring in $1900 a month can that qualify as the $800 or does it need to come from one spouse only?

        • Mariana Lange says

          You should talk to an immigration facilitator/expert about your specific situation

  8. Owen Evans says

    After 4 years of temporary residence, when you apply for permanent residency. Do you need to show the 170,000 Financials?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi! you do not

  9. Thomas L Dennis says

    If you are married, can you apply for a temporary or permanent (Mexico) residence card without adding your spouse?

    • Mariana Lange says


      • John says

        I am a handicapped adult that would like to move to mexico with my mother. I receive adult disability payments from the u.s. government. My mother is retired and receives social security. I recieve 1,200 per month. My mother receives 1,500 per month. Together do we qualify to live in Mexico? What about leaving the country every six months and reentering under a tourist visa as well and also. Thank you.

          • Pamela Van Arsdel says

            Hello Maria,
            My sister is a permanent resident and Mexico. She obtained this status several years ago. If I move to Mexico could I start the process of Residency for Family Unification…once there?
            Thank you

          • Mariana Lange says

            Hi Pamela,
            Normally, siblings don’t qualify as family unification.

  10. GWC says

    As far as the 12 months of income rule goes does it have to be guaranteed you will make that income while in Mexico? Let’s say I’ve made $10,000 a month for the past 3 years but will most likely lose my job when I move to Mexico. Does that mean I’d still be able to get Temporary Residency?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Great question- they don’t need proof that you’ll have that job when you move to Mexico. Only that you have the income requirements when you show up to your interview

  11. Lucy says

    Hi ,can a person born I’m MEXICO and has lived for the past 45 years as a permanent resident in CALIFORNIA and is retired ,move back to MEXICO (Baja California) as a retiree and buy property ? Thank you for your time 🙂

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Lucy
      Yes- as a Mexican National you will always be a Mexican. And yes you can buy property in Mexico

  12. K. Andrews says

    Stated above under temporary resident is “You can also submit official documents issued by Mexican Notary proving the ownership of a property/company/business and one photocopy with a minimum value of $320,000 USD.”

    I’m assuming this property/company/business would be located in Mexico but want to confirm.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes- you are assuming correctly. The property has to be in Mexico

      • Sebastien Charles says

        Hello Mariana,

        For proof of ownership, will a certified copy of the original deed by notario be sufficient to prove ownership of property or you need to provide the original of the deed?


        • Mariana Lange says

          A certified copy should be good enough. Although you may want to check with your local consulate if this would be sufficient as each consulate has its own rules.

  13. Desert Dog says

    Hi – just a quick question regarding permanent residency in Mexico; my wife and I are Canadian citizens, but we live in Arizona full time as we legally own and operate a business here, I’m wondering if we EACH have to “Demonstrate a minimum balance in liquid assets of approximately USD $170,000 for the last 12 months with bank statements showing this minimum balance each month”……?

    I have approximately 700K CAD dollars worth of retirement investments back in Canada, she has approximately 130K CAD – plus we have a house in Arizona (mortgage free) worth 650K USD which we’d sell upon moving to Mexico.

    Thanks in advance…

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi there
      No- only one of you has to meet the income requirements. The spouse has to meet $800-$1000 USD extra depending on the consulate.
      The mortgage won’t be taken into consideration by the consulate but they will consider all of your financials. Bring copies of everything.

  14. James E Cook says

    Great info!

    I was wondering if there are any limitations on the length of time a person who becomes a permanent Mexican resident can be traveling outside of Mexico?

    I can imagine wanting to be on the road in the US and other countries four or five months a year, but obviously wouldn’t want to jeopardize the permanent Mexican resident status.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi! You don’t have to live in Mexico to remain a permanent resident
      Once you’ve been given permanent residency you can leave and come back as many times as you want and for as many months or years as you would like

  15. DJ says

    I am wondering about working remotely in Mexico. If you work for a US company but want to live in Mexico, do you need a Mexican work visa? I anticipate travelling back and forth every quarter or so staying longer than 180 days is not an option. The job is 100% US and can be conducted anywhere there is internet connection.

    • Mariana Lange says

      As long as none of the services you offer are rendered in Mexico, you don’t need a work permit.

      • Rob says

        I am in a similar situation, I want to live in Mexico for a year or two with a temporary residence visa- economic solvency, and continue my US remote job, while still making a US income deposited into US bank account and while still being considered a US resident who pays US income taxes and will have a US address, however my company says I can’t do this with a temporary visa, are they wrong? or are they just refusing to support it because they don’t like the idea that they would be paying me more than the cost of living in Mexico if I move somewhere cheaper. It sounds like they are just being cheap. What is the legality of working remotely with a US based income in Mexico for longer than 180 days?

        • Mariana Lange says

          You can absolutely work for a remote company that is not based in Mexico with a tourist visa or a temporary residency. The only time you would need to consider a work permit in Mexico, is if your employer is in Mexico or if your income is generated in Mexico from customers living in Mexico.

  16. Eric L says

    Hello, My girlfriend and I, with our two kids, would like to get temporary resident visas to live in Mexico. We are unmarried, but we have been planning to get married. I’m wondering if the paperwork at the consulate would be simpler if we were married (or not). I know we have to bring our marriage license if we are married. But for couples who are not married, I am having trouble finding information on if we have to bring any documentation or “prove” anything about our relationship. We plan to have her submit her bank statements and have myself and the two kids all be dependents. She has the money in her bank account to cover it. I believe it would be around $46,000 that she would need. Thanks so much for any help.

    • Mariana Lange says

      In most cases, they will need proof that you two are a common-law marriage. Such as joint bank accounts, lease agreements in both names, and such.
      BUT It all depends on the consulate.
      And yes, a marriage certificate will always be the most straightforward way to prove your marriage.

      • Eric L. says

        Thank you!! That’s very helpful.

  17. Gilbert says

    Hello. I am approaching the end of my 4 years as a Temporary Resident. What is the process at the INM to change to the Permanent Resident. Do they have paperwork there for me to complete or is it an online process? Thanks (great website!)

  18. KJ says

    Hi Marianne,
    My ex-husband and I would like to get a temporary residency for ourselves and three kids. Would we need to book separate appointments at our consulate or could we do it together? He will have two of the kids under him financially and I would have one.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi! It depends on the consulate. In most cases each one of you needs to have their own appointments or the co sulfate has to be aware that it is multiple people. It just depends on their booking system

      • KJ says

        Got it! Thanks Marianne!

  19. K.C. Wright says

    Very informative! I am a US citizen planning to move to Mexico next year. For permanent residency, can I apply now or do I have to wait until I’m actually moved or have planned intentions to move? Also, any tips on moving household goods? I am in a border town but I’m hearing you can’t take a u-haul across. Appreciate your site!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Thanks! You don’t have to wait until you move to actually apply for residency. Many people get their residency nailed down sometimes years before they actually move. Especially since things change quickly.
      I would however not mention you aren’t moving to Mexico yet whenever you are asked at your consular interview.

      No – you cannot take a Uhaul to Mexico. If you need our recommendations on international moving companies or private drivers who will bring a small amount of household goods to Mexico, they are included in our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide

  20. Susan van Niekerk says

    Hi Mariana,

    This is incredibly helpful!

    My South African parents are planning to move to Mexico. They haven’t been able to get in contact with the consulate there at all, so they are planning to apply for temporary residency while in California, before traveling to Mexico.

    Their plan is to demonstrate a minimum balance in investments or savings of approx USD $43,000 for the last 12 months. Their investment accounts are currently split between them, however, meaning that together they meet the $43,000 requirement, but apart, they don’t. Do they need to combine their investments into one of their names for 12 months before applying? Or can they use accounts from each of their names that together total $43k?

    Really appreciate your help!

    • Mariana Lange says

      It depends on the local consulate in South Africa. Some consulates will let you combine investment accounts and savings. I would ask your local Mexican Consulate

  21. Peter smith says

    I am English 86 and unvaccinated my girlfriend is Philippines 63. I am not allowed into her country she is not allowed into mine we both speak Spanish and have only communicated by Skype for 2 years. We would like to retire to Mexico to be together.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Mexico might just be your best bet! I hope it works out for you too. If you need a relocation tour check out our tours

  22. Lillie B. says

    Hello, I found your site this evening and read most every comment and submission. All of the information and answers to questions that you provide have been very helpful to me. I appreciate your site. Thank you.

  23. Ava Ellis says

    When you arrive in Mexico and go to the immigration office to get the residency card, do you need to have a permanent address, or can you be staying in some kind of temporary residence like a hotel or Bed and Breakfast while you’re hunting for a house, condo or apartment?

    • Mariana Lange says

      We recommend working with an immigration facilitator who can help guide you through this process. It depends on the local INM office.
      If you need a recommendation we have them in our Mexico Relocation Guide

  24. IVCDub says


    Thank you for this valuable information. My wife and I are planning to apply for PR on the basis of 12 months of financial statements. We have two children, one who is 17 years old and the other who is 20. I have two questions for you:

    1) Is it possible to include our daughter in our application for PR? I know that we can’t include our son until after we have our PR when we can apply on the basis of family reunification; and

    2) What is the approximate time it takes to acquire the PR card once we are in Mexico; is there a way to speed up the process? We are planning to arrive in Mexico in the middle of June, but have to leave after only 2 weeks for a weekend wedding in the U.S.. After which we’ll return to Mexico for the foreseeable future. I know that we are allowed only one entry into Mexico on the PR visa, and we shouldn’t leave Mexico until we receive our PR cards.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes you can add your daughter to your original application. however, depending on the consulate, they may require each applicant to prove the minimum economic solvency. She’ll likely get temporary then and after 2 years can be a permanent residency.
      In most cases right now, the canje process in Mexico is taking 3-4 weeks. And you normally can’t leave once you’ve started the process in Mexico because you can lose your residency. There is a special permit you can ask for if you had to leave but they rarely approve them.
      There are some INM offices in Mexico that are faster than others such as La Paz, Huatulco, Mexico City, and Juarez. If you need a recommended facilitator in those areas, we have them in our Mexico Relocation Guide

  25. CD says

    Hi Mariana,
    Thank you for your post this is really helpful. Right now I have my resident visa, I am wondering how long does INM to issue the card when I get to Mexico? I am thinking to go to the INM in Mexico City. Since the appointment website was off, I am wondering is that still possible to get my card on the same day I walk in?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Most INM offices are taking from 1 week to 4 weeks because you have to get an appointment in person first- which is usually for a future date. Then come back and do your biometrics. Then get your card.

  26. Angela says

    I have a mex permanent card how can i change my last name after marriage, i am currently in california where i need continued cancer treatment. Thank you !

  27. jimmy dean puckett says

    information very helpful

  28. Loretta says

    I know they are cracking down on border jumpers my question is can I live in Mexico for 6 months then in panama for 6 months without getting residency visas from either country

  29. Lonnie says

    Hi Mariana,
    I am married to a Mexican national. I am retired. She still works. We, live in the states. We, (in her name), own a casa in BCS. Is there a simpler way for me to gain residency than the usual way for Americans, being married to her?

  30. David W Caldwell says

    As a gay American single male would I have trouble getting a temporary and/or permanent visa in Mexico? And if I were a married gay male couple would there be a problem getting either visa?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi David- no. Being gay doesn’t matter in terms of getting a residency. If you are legally married you can apply together

  31. Juanita says

    Hi Mariana,

    Thank you for the valuable information. When you obtain a temporary visa within proven required income, will you have to prove income each time you renew your visa?

    Thank you!

    • Mariana Lange says

      No- currently you don’t

  32. Debbie Mann says

    We have had property in Baja Sur for a number of years. We are now having a local contractor building a home and separate bodega on the 1/2 acre piece. My husband and I are on social security, but neither makes the monthly requirement (total is $3400 for both). Because we are using our savings to build the home, we may be a little shy for the savings requirement for past 12 months for one of us to get a permanent visa (which is what we would like). Would it be better to get the temporary visa and then apply for the permanent one in a year after our home is completed in Mexico. It will be valued at approx $450,000? How do we get it appraised and notarized for the immigration office. Thank you

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Debbie
      In my personal experience it is rare that a consulate will let you obtain permanent residency from property in Mexico valued at 6 million pesos or more.
      I think your best course of action would be to first become a temporary resident, renew for up to 3 more years after the initial year, then become a permanent.

  33. Debbie Mann says

    We have a property in Baja Sur. A local contractor is building a home and bodega for us. The total value will be approx $450,000. How do we get the value notarized so we can use to obtain a permanent visa. Currently, my spouse and I are on social security but neither make the required minimum monthly amount ($3400 for both). Our savings will be a little shy of the amount needed for a permanent visa once we build the home. Should one of us apply for a temporary visa for one year and then use the value of the home to apply for a permanent visa the following year? Would the other spouse be able to apply in Mexico the following year also.

  34. JJ says

    Hi Mariana,

    My wife and I meet the financials for PR, however we’re in our 50s. If we initially apply for PR but are rejected, will they give us TR or do we need to start the process over again?

  35. Dee Watkins says

    I will be applying for my Temporary Residency very soon. I have a partner of 10 years that may or may not move to GDL with me. Should I/we apply as a Common Law “married” couple just in case she decides that she wants to become a resident. I have the savings to cover both of us. Or will the process be difficult if we decide to do it later?

    • Mariana Lange says

      I would absolutely apply as a common law marriage if you have any paperwork to support it. Such as join bank statements, leases together, etc.

      • Margaret Daniel says


        I know this does not belong here, but how do I post a question? We are traveling to apply for our 4-year temporary residency through the special program (rt-4). I see no postings in Facebook groups regarding this

        • Mariana Lange says

          Not sure what help you need regarding that program?
          Feel free to send me an email [email protected]

  36. Bill D. says

    Buenos dias Mariana, regarding the financial requirements for the permanent visa, we get quarterly statements from our investment companies. Will this work or do we need to contact them and see about getting everything redone as monthly statements?
    Many thanks in advance,

    • Mariana Lange says

      I would ask my bank to give me monthly statements
      You don’t want to give them any reason to deny you

  37. Kit Wainer says

    I am a US citizen and have a flight to Mexico City booked for August 29. I need to stay for several months for academic research and may need to return several times over the next few years. I had hoped to apply for a temporary residence visa in New York but the consulate had no appointments available earlier in the summer. Is it possible to begin the application in Mexico or will I need to wait until I return to the US to start the process?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Unless you’re the family member of a Mexican National or resident, you have to start the process in the US. 😀

  38. Marin says

    Buenos Dias Mariana! I have my temporary resident visa (as of today!) and am ready to begin my INM process. My challenge , over the next 6 months, is to be able to enter Mexico and complete the INM process for the card in a 3 week period. I will need to return to the US for business and family reasons -I can go beyond 3 weeks by just a few days if necessary.

    I have been working with an expert facilitator in just one location for some time now and the appointment timing window is now at 1 month or more in her location. ( and seemingly exploding in many locations)

    Do you have the ability, in your services to look across each INM location you have lawyers/facilitators in and guide clients to the most efficiency location at a point in time?

    And – is it possible in any INM location for an appointment with the INM to be scheduled for me/on my behalf, without my in country presence? BEFORE my entry into Mexico in any region? This could help to better plan for arrival time and help ensure I have more time available after the initial appointment to finish up? ( vs waiting until I am in country before a facilitator can get an appt.) I am getting conflicting information elsewhere on this question.

    Thank you in advance for any thought on this you may have!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi there
      If you need to leave by 3 weeks, I wouldn’t recommend going where it takes a month. Because that’s a best case scenario
      The offices I know of where the process is done the same day are
      La Paz
      Los Cabos
      Mexico City

  39. Christy says

    Hello Mariana,

    We have started our temporary residency in Canada and now need to complete it in Mexico. We will be driving and crossing at Reynosa, so from what I’m understanding we can finish the process in Juarez in one day? We have until December 9, 2022 to get to an INM office, how much time should we allow ourselves? Should we be there by December 1st? Etc? Thank you for any help you can offer is!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes- Juarez is one of the offices that can process you in one day. But you should allow yourselves at least 3 days just in case their printers stop working or they run out of plastic cards. Which does tend to happen.

  40. James Dombrowski says


    If I don’t have a residence yet in Mexico, can I just use the address of my hotel/AirBnB?


    • Mariana Lange says

      If you are referring to when you do your canje, the short answer is yes. However, you should be aware that it is your responsibility to change your address within 90 days with INM. They can do a random check to see that you are actually living in the home that you provided the address for. Although it is rare, I figure you should know this also.

      • Alison says

        Hi, I have a question that does not seem to get addressed anywhere. If one has a temp visa (have had it since January 2023) and has no immediate plans to move to Mexico yet, used a hotel address when in country to complete the Canje and get the visa, why do I keep seeing that you’re supposed to update an address within 90 days? If you’re not living in Mexico yet, how is this possible? Or is this only for people who have moved there already? Will not living in the country be an issue at the 1-year renewal point for the TR? Thanks so much.

        • Mariana Lange says

          The law states that if you move, you are required to notify INM within 90 days of that move. Bevcause if they do a random house check and you are not living where you said you were living on your application, they can fine you or revoke your residency visa. It’s very rare they do house checks but it can happen.

          That is why we have several trustworthy immigration facilitators that have a database of addresses they provide for you and if INM ever checks, they can verify you live there without jeopardizing your residency status.
          Many people use a hotel address, and never change their addresses. They are running a risk.
          Probably a very small risk, but it’s a risk nonetheless.

          Once you move to Mexico permanently in the future, you should absolutely change your address with INM.

          Hope this helps

  41. Erik Forstreuter says

    Hi Mariana
    I will be relocating to the Puerto Vallarta area. I won’t be needing information on any other region/city. Does your guide have lots of PV specific information such as; immigration facilitators, lawyers, property managers, construction contractors etc?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hello Erik!
      We have a lot of great info on Puerto Vallarta
      Including a lot of local contacts. Although I don’t have any recommendations for construction contractors in the area, I’m positive we could get you a few recommendations through our contacts there

      We have immigration facilitators, healthcare brokers, relocation tour guides, lawyers, people who can help you get a drivers license and more

  42. Bow Archer says

    Hi Mariana!

    I am American, and have my 1 year residency. I recently got married (to another American citizen). What is the process to get residency for my wife? I intend to renew mine in December, and was hoping there was a process to petition to get her residency without having to leave Mexico. We no longer have a House in the U.S. and her Temporary Visa will expire soon. While we know she can “cross the border” and come back, this is increasingly risky with the new procedures on FMM visas. They are not giving foreigners 180 days by default any longer.

    What are our options?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes you can petition your spouse without having to leave Mexico.
      The process is getting an appointment at the local INM and then showing up with an apostilled marriage certificate, copies and original, your current address with proof through an electric bill, and pay the immigration fees. Some INM offices offer same day service while others give you an appointment for the future.
      If you’d like to ensure you do it the right way from the very start, I recommend hiring an immigration expert/facilitator. If you need a recommendation, we have a directory of recommendations throughout Mexico
      Check out our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide

  43. John says

    What form of payment do your facilitators accept from clients outside of Mexico?

    For example, payment of retainer fees, etc.

    Thank you.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi John
      It fully depends on the individual
      But most of them accept PayPal, bank transfer through Remitly or Wise, or cash

  44. Alexei Tchernov says

    I am 60, retired, I have enough funds to qualify for permanent residency (combined over prescribed 222K CAD). However, for a few months I kept about 90K in a joint account with my son, which brings me below minimum if counts only my only accounts. Is this a problem?

    Also, how do they treat investment accounts. Does only cash matter, or bonds and stocks too?



    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Alexei,
      the truth is it all depends on the consulate. Some consulates may be okay with you showing joint statements and will give you residency. But not all of them will.
      My best advice is to check with your local consulate first- email them please

  45. Eric Davis says

    You rock! I just found your YT channel and signed up for your newsletter. YOu cut through all the hype and you answer all the questions!

    I am just figuring it all out but really appreciate your insights.

    I am looking at either Mexico, Nicaragua or Colombia to travel and then move so really appreciate all your work.

    Let me know how I can help promote your work…

    Eric Davis

    • Mariana Lange says

      Thank you so much Eric!
      If you find my blog posts or videos to be helpful, feel free to share them!
      Find all my content at


  46. Paul Smith says

    Hi Mariana
    My wife has a temporary Mexican visa and a vehicle from Canada registered in her name fully insured for Mexico and TIP in place, I have a permanent Mexican visa is there any problem for me to drive her vehicle in Mexico? Of course we both have driver’s licenses from Canada.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes there is a problem. If you are stopped with the vehicle and the TIP is not in your name, the car could get impounded.

  47. Lori says

    My husband is a dual Mexican/American citizen. We are retiring in Mexico (in the process of buying a home there) and we want to start the process of getting me my temp residency. Our local consulate (in AZ) is telling us to do this from Mexico.

    Upon researching, the docs I need are simply my FMM, my American passport, my marriage license, and lease/deed/utility bill from a property in Mexico.

    However, my husband changed his first name to his long time “nickname” when he became American, and I legally married him under his new American name.

    He has been traveling to Mexico as an American… we recently corrected that and now has a Mexican passport under his birth name as well as a CURP in order to take property title.

    We have a clear paper trail to show his birth name and American name are the same person…. But it is a combination of Mexican and USA docs.

    Do I have to remarry him in Mexico under his birth name in order to achieve residency, or will proof that he is the same person through a series of documents/picture IDs from both countries suffice?

    • Mariana Lange says

      This is tricky and I would recommend consulting with an immigration expert. If you need our recommendations to reputable immigration facilitators in Mexico, we include them when you purchase our Mexico relocation guide

  48. Manian says

    For the canje process, is it possible to get it done within couple of days in Mexico City? That is I fly into CDMX with temporary residence visa and go very early in the morning to local INM office and stand in the queue. Can I get the residence card the same day or next day?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Mexico City does not offer same-day service anymore, unfortunately. But assuming you start lining up pretty early in the AM (before 4am) there is a good chance you’ll get an appointment for the following day. At which point they usually give you the card that same day

  49. Sharon Winget says

    Marianne, I have my visa for PR and will be returning to Mexico in February 2023. Is there info out there to help me figure out the best city to do the Canje? I will be in San Miguel de Allende but could travel to Queretaro or Mexico.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Sharon
      It all depends on whether you have to leave Mexico before a specific time or not. If you don’t, then you should do canje in the city where you plan to live

  50. Kong says

    Hi Mariana! I have had my PR visa for Mexico for about 5 years now but since then have come back to work in USA and hold a USA state driver’s license. Do I still need to get a Mexico state driver’s license while driving in Mexico? I go back 3-4 times a year to spend time with my wife and kids. TIA!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Kong,
      There are thousands of people living in Mexico driving with only their foreign driver’s license. But if it were me, I would get a Mexican driver’s license. If you get pulled over you will likely be treated better with a local DL
      And it is always easier to replace a Mexican DL than your foreign one. Plus, the only way to get local discounts is with a local ID in most cases.

  51. Bart says

    Hi Mariana. Since a few weeks we are thinking of retiring in Mexico. But just wondering : the monthly incomes you have to prove are quiet high, aren’t they? We live in Belgium. And I must say, not many Belgian workers will have a monthly pension of €3.000 or $3.300. A lot of Americans are not even comming close to that amount as a pension income I guess. Yet many Americans are retiring in Mexico. If an avarage Mexican income is some $650-$700, how come they’ve set the requirements so high? Or are the requirements for retiries difirent? Greetings from Belgium.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes those income requirements are correct. And unfortunately we know some people will not qualify

      However, The requirements are high because of the formulas they use. Not because it’s based on cost of living

  52. Randi says

    Can I live in 2 different parts of Mexico with a Temp residency. I am on year 3 of my temp and i live in Cozumel. I would like to live 6 months here and 6 months in another part of Mexico. Is this achievable on a temp residency?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes it is possible and allowed. However one thing to keep in mind is that immigration in Mexico expects you to change your address within 90 days if you permanently move somewhere. Which they can find out if they do a random house check. It’s rare that these happen but want to let you know of what could happen

  53. Norman Playford says

    Hi Mariana
    We have a four year temp residencia, and for the first time are flying into Mexico. I know we use the Residencia card at immigration, but do we book our flights with the Residencia or our passports?

    • Mariana Lange says

      you book flights with your passport number

  54. Tonya says

    Hi, wondering what the requirements are to maintain PR.
    Is there a minimum amount of time annually that must be spent in MX?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi! No- you don’t have to remain in Mexico to keep your residency. The only time being in Mexico is necessary is if you wish to renew your temporary residency. Or if you wish to apply for citizenship at some point

  55. David G says

    Hi, Mariana. In the case of a couple where one spouse has a Canadian birth certificate, the other has a French birth certificate (to replace one lost at birth from Morocco), and marriage certificates issued in both Israel and in France, what would be the easiest process? To get the apostilled marriage certificate from France or from Israel? Can the Mexican lawyer or facilitator handle the French part since it has to go through some court in France for the apostille?

    • Mariana Lange says

      We have a directory of apostille brokers who can help you get your documents authenticated from different parts of the world.
      When you purchase our online guide, you get instant access to our directory of recommended contacts.

  56. Ken says

    Mariana, I was approved for Temporary Residency but my girlfriend was not. I was told that even though I met more than twice the financial threshold to support a dependent and we showed proof that we had been in a common-law relationship for the past 8 years, they still denied her, saying that she did not meet the financial test herself and that we were not legally married. I was told that I could appeal once I am in Mexico but most of my advisors have told me that this is not possible. Any thoughts?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Sorry but common law marriages between foreigners are not usually accepted in the Mexican INM offices unless you applied for this in a Mexican court. My advice would be, get married and bring that to your consular appointment. Or get married in Mexico and petition her in Mexico.

  57. Ilia says

    Hi Mariana,

    I’d like to apply for temporary residency. Despite meeting the criteria, I’ve been told by someone with knowledge in Latin American residencies that my type of proof for income/savings wouldn’t be accepted.

    My preferred method of applying would be through the savings/investment option. However, I don’t have the the required amount in a bank going back 12 months. What I do have is a portfolio of crypto based assets (well over the amount required). I can show proof that the total value of the portfolio has exceeded the necessary amount for the past 12 months.

    The other option would be to show the required income going back 6 months. Every month I withdraw the minimum amount required for my living expenses, and any left over earnings get reinvested back into my business. The withdrawals are made from my PayPal account to my bank account.

    I’ve read online that some consulates that don’t dig in too deeply into the source of funds, as long as it looks like consistent income that’s all that matters.

    I’d like to know which consulates out there are most likely to accept my application, and what my best options are to make this work (investments or income). I’m based in Toronto, but I’d be willing to travel anywhere if there are more flexible consulates out there.

  58. Kathy McAllister says

    Hi Marianna,
    What are the chances of getting a regularization visa? I would love to move to Mexico but don’t meet the financial requirements anymore. I was in Mexico December 2017-February 2018. It is not stamped in my passport. I drove into Mexico.
    Thanks very much!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi there!
      If you did not go to INM when you drove across, there is no way for Mexico to know that you entered the country in those dates. And therefore you would not qualify for the special regularization

  59. Michael Daly says

    Hello Mariana,
    Thanks for all this valuable information! You are very kind. My wife lost her PR here in California. She has finished all the stateside requirements at our local Mexican Consulate. We are now ready to fly back to Mexico and complete the Repositioning Process. We sold our Mexican condo that we owned at the time of her initial PR application. We are concerned about what documents will be required when go to the INM office in Mexico to get a replacement PR. Can you help?
    Thanks, Mike

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Mike!
      Depending on how long ago she lost her PR, she may have to start the process all over again at a Mexican Consulate near you.
      But if you need help from an immigration facilitator to help you with the process, we can give you our recommendations
      Our recommendations are included in our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide.
      When you buy the guide, you get instant access to our guide on moving to Mexico and our directory of contacts.
      Check out what’s included here

  60. James Avak says

    Dear Mariana:

    I am from the U.S and my wife is Mexicana . I am 57 and we have been married for 35 years. We have about 350k in Roth between us . Is it better for us that she is on the application ? I heard the visas are different in my situation . I would rather apply for permanent so we can buy a house in Mexico as well.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi James,
      You can buy a house with either temporary or permanent residency by the way. You don’t need permanent residency to buy a house in Mexico.
      If your wife is Mexican and has a Mexican passport, you can obtain residency without having to prove financials. This can be done from within Mexico.

      Or you can also apply from a Mexican consulate abroad and they will ask you for between $800-$1000 USD monthly depending on the consulate.
      You will also need your marriage certificate. And once approved, you finish the process in Mexico.

      If you need help in the process, I highly recommend hiring an immigration facilitator. if you need our recommendations, check out our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide

      In the guide we include the steps to completing your residency as well as our extensive directory of contacts including immigration facilitators, realtors, real estate lawyers, notarios and more.

  61. Alison says

    Hi, I have a question that I have not seen addressed anywhere. If one has a temp visa (got it in January 2023) and has no immediate plans to move to Mexico yet, used a hotel address when in country to complete the Canje and get the visa, why do I keep seeing that you’re supposed to update an address within 90 days? If you’re not living in Mexico yet, how is this possible? Or is this only for people who have moved there already? Will not living in the country be an issue at the 1-year renewal point for the TR? Also how many days before the 1-day anniversary of the TR can you renew it? Thanks so much.

  62. Alex says


    Bringing our car down along with items for our home in Baja Sur on a Temp Visa. Do we need to apply for the TIP if we have no intention of driving the car to non free zones i.e mainland? And if not what do we need to prove all this if pulled over withouit a TIP?
    Also do we need to declare our house hold items or or car and pay a fee to bring them into Mexico?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Alex,
      No you don’t need a TIP if you don’t plan on driving your car outside the “free zone”
      However, you do need to declare your household goods. If you are a resident, you qualify for one tax-free import with a Menaje de Casa certificate given to you at the consulate.
      Although some people cross the border without it, and it’s a 50/50 chance that the border agents won’t make you pay anything if it seems like it’s only suitcases and clothes.

  63. Will says

    Hi, I am a US citizen and have Mexican permanent residency from having previously worked in Mexico for many years but I now live in California. (My understanding is that there is no time limit on how long I can remain outside of Mexico and keep Mexican permanent residency.)

    Is it allowed for a Mexican permanent resident who lives in the US to drive his/her own US (California) plated car into Baja California?

    I would never leave Baja California (Norte) with the car. My understanding is that a Mexico permanent resident cannot drive a US plated car anywhere where a TIP is required, but I have received conflicting information regarding what is allowed in (at least what used to be regarded as) the free zone. (i.e. Baja California, the special zone in Sonora and within 21 km of the border.)

    Also, as a Mexico permanent resident do I need to stop for an FMM at a land border each time I cross the border between California to Baja California? The FMM is used not only as a visitor permit but also is used for “statistical purposes only” for those with resident visas. I needed to have one to cross from San Diego to Tijuana airport using CBX. The immigration official marked the FMM as “unicamente para efectos estadisticos” and “tarjeta residente permanente”. At CBX the IMN official asked me if I was living in Mexico. I told him that I was not currently living in Mexico (i.e. the truth) and he told me that I should be living in Mexico to use the permanent resident card and he would enter that I was living in Mexico. It is pretty clear that I cannot have both a visitor permit and a permanent resident card, so my only option is to enter Mexico with the permanent resident card, but the need for the statistical FMM is not clear.

    Mexican immigration at auto crossings between California and Baja California is most definitely not set up to accommodate all non-Mexican nationals crossing into Mexico stopping to have an FMM reviewed.

  64. Deborah Mann says

    I have just received an appointment with the Mexican consulate for a permanent visa. I am rethinking the requirements since my husband would also like to apply for a temporary visa. Should I instead ask if I can change my request to a temporary visa so that our joint bank accounts will better qualify us? We are building a house in Mexico that is almost finished so the resident visa is very important to us.
    Do the consulates combine the monthy income with the bank account information to assess the individual qualifications?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Deborah,
      The truth is that every consulate is a bit different in the way they handle the requirements for residency.
      However, most consulates do consider combined/joint accounts when determining their decision. And in some cases, some consulates want each individual to qualify independently.
      Meaning that each person needs to prove $2600-$3300 USD (depending on the consulate) in income each month for the last 6 months or
      43,000-54,000 USD in savings or investments each

      The best thing to do is to ask the consulate directly what their requirements are. Because, again, each consulate varies slightly.

      If you’d rather have an immigration facilitator check for you and help guide you, then you can hire one for this part of the process as well. If you’d like our directory of recommendations for immigration facilitators as well as all of our other contacts, I’d suggest checking out our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide. In the guide, you get instant access to a lot of the steps of obtaining residency. As well as a complete directory of facilitators across Mexico.

  65. mike m. says

    I’m currently a tempory resident and that status expires in early Jan 2025. I’m trying to find information on the process to change that status but you didn’t address that issue at all.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Mike
      That process is explained in detail in our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide.
      If you’d like to buy the guide we give you exactly the steps to follow for switching from temporary to permanent residency.
      And if you need help with that process, we also give you our directory of recommended immigration facilitators that can help you.
      Check out what’s included here

  66. Jose Marques says

    Hola! We are going to start the process of moving to merida soon. Me and my 2 daughters are citizens of Mexico. My wife is not. We want to get my wife permanent resident visa, how do we get it? What are the requirements? Can we get it here while in the USA? thank you!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Jose
      Yes you can receive permanent residency through your wife as long as you guys are legally married.
      You will need to secure an appointment at your nearest consulate and bring
      Your marriage certificate
      An apostille for your marriage certificate
      your current valid passport

      And once you can prove you have ties to a Mexican national, they will likely ask you why you want to gain residency.
      If you get approved, it is usually the same day. And you pay your $51 Immigration fees at the consulate the day of the appointment

  67. Steve Cross says

    If you don’t have enough income or savings to qualify for a Temporary Resident visa, can you combine income and savings?

    Alternatively, can I get a Student Temporary Resident visa, which has much lower income and savings requirements (even though I’m 59)? I’d want to learn Spanish, maybe at UNAM, so would this work? Would it also turn into a Permanent Resident visa or citizenship after 4 years?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Steve! Great question.You cannot combine savings and income. However, you CAN send yourself money from your savings account to your checking to make up the difference each month. After you have 6 months of bank statements with the minimum income requirement you can be eligible to apply for residency!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *