Immigration Fees in Mexico – 2024

If you are applying to become a resident in Mexico, there are specific immigration fees you should be aware of. These usually increase each year and are different based on which residency visa or immigration process you will be applying for.

Visitor Visa (tourist)

When you travel to Mexico as a tourist, you will either drive across the border, fly in, or take a cruise. And in case you didn’t know this, there is a fee that Mexico charges foreigners to process their FMM or forma migratoria multiple, which is essentially your tourist visa.

The cost of this is $717 MXN (about $40 USD)

You can pay for your FMM at the INM offices on the land borders if you are driving across. However if you are traveling to Mexico for less than 72 hours, there is no charge.

If you are flying to Mexico, the airline automatically charges you this amount when you reserve and pay for your ticket. No need to pay for this again. If you are not a foreigner, you can apply for a refund. But in my experience, getting a refund is a marathon.

And if you are taking a cruise to Mexico, the cruise line automatically charges their passengers for this permit to enter Mexico. However, you aren’t given an FMM as you’d normally get if you were flying or driving to Mexico.

Temporary Residents

The first part of your residency process will almost always start in your home country. You have to secure a Mexican consulate appointment- where they will check to see if you qualify for residency in Mexico. The cost of this consular appointment is always $53 USD/ $74 CAD or the equivalent based on your home country’s currency. The consular fee is non-refundable regardless of whether you are approved or not.

The second part of the process takes place in Mexico and is known as CANJE.

Because most Temporary Residents are given their residency card for one year initially, you can expect the cost of this to be $5,328MXN.

After the first year, you will have to renew your residency visa and can only do so for up to 4 years. These are the costs for renewal

  • 1 Year $5,328 MXN
  • 2 Years $7,984 MXN
  • 3 Years $10,112 MXN

Permanent Residents

If you are given permanent residency at the Mexican Consulate that approved your residency, your visa is indefinite and does not need to be renewed. You only pay $6,495MXN once (about $361 USD).

When you come to Mexico, you pay this amount to finish your process at the INM offices.

Learn How to Move to Mexico and Have a Better Life for Less! Check out our Complete Mexico Relocation Guide.

RNE Program- Regularization Program

  • The 4-year Temporary Residency Fee: $11,985 pesos.
  • An RNE Fee for Immigration to do a Study on Your Case: $1,702 Pesos
  • And a Fine For Overstaying your FMM Allowed Time: $2078-$4,150 Pesos.

Work Permit for Temporary Residents

If you wish to work in Mexico as a temporary resident, you must obtain permission to work from INM. Even if you rent an Airbnb in Mexico as a temporary resident, you have to ask INM for permission to work- because you are generating an income.

The cost of this work permit is $4,001 MXN.

Permanent Residents are given permission to work without having to process any additional permits., Although you are supposed to notify INM of your intent to work and what you plan to do for work.

Temporary Residents Changing to Permanent Residency

After 4 years as a Temporary Resident, you can become a permanent resident. The process is very straightforward and needs to be done in Mexico.

The cost of this change in your residency status is $1702 MXN.

Exit and Re-Entry Permit

Any new resident of Mexico who is coming to process their canje (the exchange of their residency stamp for a residency card) CANNOT leave Mexico without written permission from INM. Doing so will cancel your residency process, and you will have to start over again.

For this, INM has a special exit and re-entry permit given to people in special circumstances. With this permit, you are allowed to leave Mexico for a period of up to 60 days. At this point you have to come back to Mexico and cannot leave again until you have your residency card in hand.

The cost of this permit is $545 MXN.

Who Can Help You With Obtaining Residency in Mexico?

Mexican bureaucracy can be challenging and time-consuming, especially for anyone who has never had to deal with immigration in Mexico.

And although it isn’t impossible to process your residency on your own, the process can be frustrating and confusing. So who can help you ensure you have a smoother experience?

An immigration facilitator.

However, remember that an immigration facilitator’s fees are on top of immigration fees. And you can expect to pay an immigration facilitator anywhere from $5,000-$10,000 MXN per person. Depending on who you hire, what services they offer, how much they will do for you or expect you to do on your own, how many people in your family they are helping, and a few other factors.

A good and reputable immigration facilitator can help guide you through the residency process in Mexico. And because the process varies slightly from one INM office to another in Mexico, it’s important to hire a facilitator familiar with local norms.

Hiring a local expert who knows the immigration processes will not only save you time, but it can save you money. Not to mention saving you some frustrations.

Because of this, I have put together a directory of my recommended immigration facilitators across Mexico. I have them in a variety of cities in different states of Mexico. If you’d like one of our recommendations, check out our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide.

Mariana Lange

Mariana Lima-Lange was born in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. when she was a child. She spent every summer visiting family throughout Mexico and is very knowledgeable about Mexican culture, lifestyle, and traditions. She is fluent in both Spanish and English.

Reader Interactions


  1. Maria Wagner says

    When you come to Mexico to complete canje, how many days does that usually take? Days, weeks, months??

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Maria
      It fully depends on which INM office you go to
      Some offices can process you in 1 day, some offices take up to 4 weeks


  2. Tony says

    Hi Mariana,

    Great information. I have two questions:

    1- Typically, how long does it take to get the residence card in Mexico and it it different for permanent vs temporary?

    2- Once one has the residence card, does he have to live in mexico or can come maybe once a yeaar to visit?

    3- what are the good immersion Spanish schools in mexico (Potentially near beach areas)?

    Thank you for your help

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Tony
      1- the timeframe to get your residency card fully varies on which consulate you start the process in, and which office in Mexico you finish the process in. Assuming you get your appointment at a Mexican consulate rather fast, you will have to travel to Mexico. At which point (and depending on which INM office you go to) it can take from 1 day and up to 4 weeks for you to get your card.
      2-You don’t have to live in Mexico full time. But if you have a temporary residency you do have to come back to Mexico to renew it in person before it expires
      3-The ones I know of are Zaloa languages and in Oaxaca- so not near the beach

      • Ann says

        I thought. Parts of Oaxaca are along the beach as Huatulco?

        • Mariana Lange says

          Oaxaca city is about 5 hours away from the beach. And Zaloa languages is in Puebla- not near the beach.

          • Paul Guzman says

            Hi Mariana and congratulations on your successful Mexico Relocation Guide.

            Question. Does the MRG address how a Mexican born person whom became a natuaralized American Citizen before 1998, how they can reclaim their Mexican Citizenship back and or dual citizenship?

          • Mariana Lange says

            Hi Paul! Thanks for your nice comments
            If you were born in Mexico, you will always be a Mexican citizen. You never lose it.
            To claim your citizenship back, all you have to do is go to your nearest Mexican consulate and bring your birth certificate from Mexico.
            Then you can obtain your Mexican passport 🙂

  3. Ester says

    Good morning Mariana,

    My best friend just purchased your relocation guide as we plan to move and retire from the US to Mexico in 2025, it’s just invaluable so we appreciate all your efforts and dedication!

    My questions pertain to importing a car. I have a 2018 Rav4 that I would like to be able to import. There will not be a lien on the vehicle after 2025. If I understand correctly I can have it there while I have a temporary visa, correct?

    If I obtain a temporary visa for 4 years in 2025, it would be over 10 years old when I look to become a permanent resident.

    I’m asking for some general information about if this would work as a viable plan, rough cost of any fees, etc. I believe I read something about the car needs to be manufactured in the US or possibly Mexico, how do I find out if my car was made here in the US?

    Of course I know fees increase annually but just helps now to at least have a base to work from if my vehicle falls into the import criteria.

    Thank you!

  4. Jessica Ediger says

    Useful information! My husband will be the primary applicant and I the dependent. In the horrid event of his death while we are temporary or permanent residents, would I need to restart the application over again and re-qualify for the minimum income? Thank you!

    • Mariana Lange says

      No you would not need to re-apply in the case of that terrible circumstance.
      You would be eligible for permanent after 4 years as a temp resident

      • Karen Beiser says

        Hi Mariana,

        In this article you say that to change from temporary to permanent residency is $1,632. Is that Mexican, or US?
        Thank you so much!

        • Mariana Lange says

          All of the fees stated in the article are in Mexican Pesos 🙂

  5. Michael Koon says

    I would like to start the process of acquiring permanent residency, but am having a great deal of difficulty securing an appointment at a consulate/embassy in the US. Any hints for getting this done?

    • Mariana Lange says

      We hear this all the time. That’s why we recommend hiring a facilitator that can help you book an appointment at your nearest consulate or at a consulate with the soonest availability
      In our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide, we include our recommended immigration facilitators across Mexico. Some of them can help you book an appointment.
      Check out what’s included here


  6. Chantel Gooch says

    Hi Mariana, My wife and I intend to apply for permanent residency and move to Puerto Vallarta for retirement in 2024. We are currently in Portland OR. The application procedures are all online and the consulate calls you for appt. after they receive the application. Since the forms are for individuals, I assume we can only get individual appointments? We would prefer to have a single appointment as a married couple. One of our incomes is lower than the other and may not make the minimum requirement for residency. But our combined married income is big enough. Can you assist with arranging the appointment for married couples at the Portland consulate? We have bought your relocation guide. Or do you just assist with Mexican facilitators once we get there?

    • Mariana Lange says

      The facilitators that offer appointment scheduling are the ones that can help you secure an appointment. In the online guide there are a few immigration facilitators that offer appointment scheduling. Under their names, I give a description of the services they offer. I don’t do appointment scheduling 🙂

      • Thomas says

        Hello Mariana,

        My wife and I love your YouTube channel. It is so informative and helpful. We are planning to retire in the Lake Chapala area within the next year to 2 years and will be fixing the area this October. Our question is can we start our temp visa process and get our visa card while we are there in October even though we are not actually living there yet or do we have to have an actual physical address were we would be retiring?

        • Mariana Lange says

          Hi Thomas!
          You actually need to start the residency process in your home country at the nearest Mexican consulate
          Once you get pre-approved, you finish the process in Mexico. And yes, you can certainly finish the process in Guadalajara or Chapala.
          It doesn’t matter if you don’t have an address in Mexico nailed down yet. Many people use their airbnb or hotel address while they find their long term rental.
          Once you do have a long term rental, you are required to change your address with INM (immigration) within 90 days.

          Hope this helps!

  7. Tina Knautz says

    Good Morning!
    My husband and I would like to get our permanent residency visa and relocate to the Baja; are we able to bring a car from the US here (does the free zone qualify for permanent residents)?

  8. A says

    If you have a permenant visa are you reqired to obtain the visitor visa when flying back into Mexico?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Amy
      No- if you have residency in Mexico, you do not need a visitor visa when flying back into Mexico. Your passport will be stamped by immigration control when you come into the country

  9. Sara says

    I was sick and forgot to renew my temporary visa. In December of this year I think I am eligible for Permanente status, am I right?

  10. Archana Lee says

    Can you publish the current income or asset requirements for both the temporary and permanent residency, please?
    Thanks for this update.

  11. Edward Martinez says

    My question is citizenship if I am a Descendant but it took 9 generation to find from Mexico because generations were from CA, TX,NM, AZ and Mexico but Mexico owned those states as part of Mexico back then. How would that work?

  12. Edward Martinez says

    Which Consulate location is usually the quickest to deal with to get the process and completion of paperwork done with the least amount of hassle. I also heard prices can range, where would it be wise to start the process

  13. Peter Marsman says

    What are the 2023 Temporary Residency financial requirements?

  14. Barbara Price says

    I have initiated my plan to re-locate. I will rent/lease initially then buy a house, or I may purchase a house before moving permanently after visiting. Should I just rent/lease I would be interested in living in the home for several years is that a reasonable expectation? I retired very early and have lived in this home for 23 years. I have not yet subscribed to your service as I do not know how long it will take to prepare for the move. Currently waiting for Pass Port renewal I estimate early Spring or sooner.

    • Mariana Lange says

      Hi Barbara
      Thanks for writing in. Yes, we recommend renting for at least 6 months to a year before buying real estate in Mexico. That way you can see for yourself where you like living and will have ultimate flexibility to move if you don’t like the place you are in.

  15. Kunyu Wang says

    I have a US green card holder but a Chinese citizen. Does everything in this article still apply in my case?

    Thank you for sharing this valuable information!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes- all the information on this post still applies. If you are living in the US, you can go to your nearest Mexican consulate to apply.

  16. Rita says

    We entered at PV airport and passport was marked correctly for “Canje”. When our electronic fmm was printed, REPOSICIÓN was checked instead of Canje. Is this a problem since passport stamp is correct? If it is a problem, how can I get it fixed?

    • Mariana Lange says

      Yes it is a problem because the digital FMM is what is in the system
      Reposicion is to replace – which is not canje
      If you’re not working with a facilitator, I’d suggest hiring one to help you sort it all out.

      If you need a recommendation, we have a few in Puerto Vallarta.
      When you buy the guide, you get instant access to the easy to follow steps, and also our complete directory.
      Find out what’s included here

  17. Ruby Gutierrez says

    I understand the initial temporary visa process requires presenting financial documents (bank statements, investment statements, etc.) to Mexican Consulate in the US. Do the consulates guarantee confidentiality? Seems to me this information may not be too secure and could lead to eventual identity theft and other problems. Worse, US laws would not apply to Mexican consulate in the event of stolen or misfiled information. Do you have any suggestions as to preventing fraud, etc? What can I do to prevent the information from being used for purposes other than temporary visa application process?

    • Mariana Lange says

      People often times black out account numbers and the address of the account holder.
      But you’ll have to trust that the Mexican Consulates are not there to steal your information

  18. Jon says

    Hello, Marianna if you work remotely for companies outside of Mexico, do you need to apply for a temporary visa with work authorization? Also, do you know if the consulates accept the $51 fee payment in cash, check our credit card?


    • Mariana Lange says

      You don’t need work authorization in Mexico unless you plan to earn a living in Mexico from a Mexican source or company. That includes selling goods, consulting, real estate etc in Mexico.
      All consulates take the $51 payment by card

      • Jeff Daley says

        Interesting enough, in Seattle the consulate requests cash payment.

  19. Lee says

    In Cozumel they said after your first year of temporary residency you can only get one more year at a time. Is there anything that can be shown to get 2 or 3 years and not one year.

  20. Jason says

    can an 18 year old be considered a dependent in order for the entire family to get temporary residency? What is the age cut off?

    Thank you!

    • Mariana Lange says

      At 18 years of age, you are considered an adult in Mexico. And at that point they are no longer a dependent for residency visas. They would have to qualify on their own requirements.

  21. Maryna says

    Dear Mariana,

    You wrote that during the transition from temporary residency to permanent residency (after being 4 years a temporary resident) person pays $1702MXN. Is this all, or is this in addition to $6,495MXN for the permanent residency?
    Thank you very much!

    • Mariana Lange says

      Your cost from temporary to permanent after 4 years is only $1702

  22. Ahmed says

    I got tourist visa and stamped on the passport (Jordanian citizen who residing on Saudi Arabia), is there any way to change it to temporary residency card from Mexico after entering the Mexico?

  23. Jennie says

    1.My husband and I plan to relocate to Mexico within the next 18 months. I am retired (over retirement age) and have the required Social Security Administration document, and required assets to apply for permanent residency (per the website of a nearby consulate). He is younger than I am, and is still working. He does not have the assets to qualify for residency. He will retire when we move to Mexico.

    It is unclear if we need two applications (I assume so because these are individual visas). Although there is a fair amount of information on the consulate website, there is no information pertaining to married couples and the combined financial requirements.

    2. The amounts listed on the McAllen, TX consulate do not match the amounts you have provided. The amounts listed for temporary and permanent residency are lower on their website. Am I safe to assume their website is outdated?

    Many thanks!

    • Mariana Lange says

      As long as you qualify for residency, you can petition your spouse to join you and become a resident of Mexico without him needing to prove economic solvency. This is done in Mexico once you obtain your residency card.
      The information on the consulate websites tends to not be updated regularly. The information on our site is listed there only if the consulates directly sent us the income requirements and we can verify it with the consulate directly.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *